15 Dec, 2016 12:26
“Here [in Aleppo], I’ve been speaking to a local journalist and locals who have been here since dawn… They say they heard no sound of gunfire,” Phelan reported from Aleppo.
Earlier on Thursday, Reuters reported allegations that Syrian forces opened fire on the medical convoy in eastern Aleppo, killing at least one person.
“[Pro-government fighters] fired at us and at ambulance vehicles and those people opening up the road,” Reuters reported, citing an unnamed ‘spokesman for the civil defense rescue service.’
Reuters also cited an interview posted “via an online messaging service,” in which a man who said he was a civil defense worker claimed snipers were targeting people in the convoy.
Later on Thursday, spokesperson for the ICRC in Syria, Ingy Sedky, told RT that there were no signs that the planned evacuation would be disrupted by an attack by any side.
“They are safe,” she said, referring to the evacuees and humanitarian workers involved in the evacuation.
“The operation is going well so far and people are starting to gather to get on the buses and ambulances in order to be evacuated.”
A large-scale humanitarian operation is currently taking place in Aleppo. On Monday, the Russian Defense Ministry said that up to 100,000 people, including 40,000 children, have been evacuated from eastern Aleppo.
The Syrian Army has liberated most of the neighborhoods in the eastern part of the city held by Al-Nusra Front terrorists and other militant groups over the past weeks. At present, the militants control just 2.5 square kilometers of Aleppo, according to the Russian Reconciliation Center.