Hear voice differences between the two Pauls

Readers tell me they find the Paul McCartney discussion very interesting, but still find it all very mysterious.  Listen carefully to these two different versions of “The Night Before”, apparently with the same lead singer.  Can you tell the differences?  The second singer can’t hit the highest notes at all, and lacks the confidence of the first.  The ‘cry’ in ‘Makes me wanna cry’ at 1 minute 50 seconds in the second is beyond his natural range, which he covers over by going into a shout.  The first singer takes it on the trot, singing with no difficulty, and no shout.  That’s not to say the second Paul McCartney isn’t a highly professional and capable musician, and that electric guitars and production techniques haven’t progressed by miles between 1965 and 2012.  They have.  But that still can’t hide the fact that these are two different singers.

The first Paul died in a car crash on Wednesday February 9th 1966.

The top video picture is from the Salisbury Plain section of the movie ‘Help’.  The whole movie was about human sacrifice, and was set amidst a military background, at various times covering the stars with red gore.  It was almost foretelling the tragic events that were to later befall the members of the group.  The only true survivor to this day being Ringo Starr (Richard Starkey).

Earlier Tap posts on this topic

9 Responses to “Hear voice differences between the two Pauls”

1. beLIEve says:

The young Paul appears to have a melodious fluency that the other “Paul” lacks.

2. Aldous says:

That does sound a bit rough and not one that should be in his repertoire any more. If I had just heard the soundtrack, I would have mistaken it for someone trying it on karaoke.

“Released on 6th August, 1965, and eight months after Beatles For Sale, the recordings for Help! had actually started in earnest in mid February just one month after the guys had completed a season of ‘Another Beatles Christmas Show’ at London’s Hammersmith Odeon. Within days of the final February session, they were off to the Bahamas to film scenes for the movie, which like ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ was directed by Richard Lester.”

So the voice is 47 years older when that live recording was made 2012 in Mexico as opposed to a youthful studio take in 1965.

When I was into karaoke many years ago – more into listening than trying to sing – I was advised to steer clear of Beatles’ tracks as they were incredibly difficult to sing (too much range) and I don’t think I have ever heard a single Beatles’ song performed at karaoke to this day. They’re great melodies and often complex but trying to sing them is a challenge.
    #Yesterday# might well be the most covered song in history but i can’t think of any other apart from the late Joe Cocker’s #With A Little Help From My Friends# so even professional singers seem to mostly avoid them.

That whole rendition by Paul McCartney (or whoever) was flawed and painful to listen to. Time to give some of the more difficult Beatles’ songs a miss – whoever he is.

Incidentally, ‘body doubles’ may have been used many times for a myriad of reasons, especially for Hollywood actors/actresses. It’s not hard to imagine it being used for singers and I keep an open mind about the Paul McCartney switch, even though it would have been difficult to pull off. If they can fool the World over the Moon Landings and 9/11, then maybe there lies the answer hidden in plain sight as it were.

3. Jennifer says:

Well, there is some 50 years between those recordings – a voice cannot sustain the same sound quality over that time.
    The Beatles may well have been a Tavistock product all the same.
    Rolling Stones too. Here’s a fascinating glimpse into the psych-op of Altamont, destroying the optimism, hope and peaceful aspirations of young Americans.

4. RabbiT says:

Nothing scientific, as it were, comparing studio recordings with live recordings 40 plus years apart. Dude could have had a cold.

We would need to compare studio recordings pre-Feb 66 and post Feb 66 to find if Paul could be Faul – Rubber Soul to Revolver for starters.

5. ian says:

I can’t believe that anyone thinks that you can find a replacement for Paul. That looks like him sounds like him can sing and play guitar left handed. That I never liked McCartney from day one, doesn’t spoil my judgement because they managed to carry on his arrogance too. Tapestry said something along the lines of those that can think. I would suggest that is those that have difficulty thinking clearly. A complete non starter for me. They killed John. The rest is distraction from more pressing matters.

• Tapestry says:

It’s no distraction, Ian. It’s a key part to the story that people can relate to, especially people who can’t access these topics from the more political viewpoint. Music has enormous reach compared to politics.

• ian says:

Ok Tap, but I’m afraid it’s beyond my understanding. To my way of thinking, it wasn’t until perhaps about the time that they split up that John went political. I liked John, yes he was arrogant too like Paul, but he seemed more charismatic, more appealing possibly because of my own beliefs. I like to feel I’m not easily controlled, but given the right circumstances, I’m as easily manipulated as anyone else. I don’t see why they would kill Paul, or how they could possibly replace him. Possibly I lack vision or intellect or something. Definitely something lol.

6. Jennifer says:

Maybe the Public Performing Rights are just too extortionate – didn’t Michael Jackson own them for a while? Who now does?
    Frankfurt School T. Adorno was alleged to have had a hand in composing Beatles music – the sound was SO different from their early covers of American rock’n’roll.

• Tapestry says:

The new Paul McCartney would be entitled to perform any Beatles song he wished as they were labelled as written by Lennon/McCartney on Parlaphone. He chooses not to, as they’re not suited to his voice.