1st December 2015
Opposition to war grows – join the protests.
Opposition to bombing Syria is growing. There have been protests up and down the country. Britain’s biggest trade unions Unite and Unison have come out against it as have a long list of student leaders and a whole range of high profile figures from former UN Assistant Secretary General Hans Von Sponeck to former NATO General Sir Richard Shirreff.
We have 24 hours to limit the vote for war – make your voice heard.
Our campaigning against war on Syria needs your support
Stop the War needs your help. The Tory government and media have limitless resources to put their case for war, while we are dependent on our supporters in the anti war movement, through their donations or memberships. We need money for leaflets, placards, public meetings, lobbying and protests, and to fund our small office. The stakes could not be higher, with the prospect of yet another UK war looming. Please consider now becoming a member of Stop the War or making a donation to help fund our campaigns.
Or you can send a cheque to Stop the War, 86 Durham Road, London N7 7DT.
Or donate over the phone at 020 7561 4830
David Cameron has announced that MPs will vote this Wednesday 2 December on bombing Syria. Stop the War is asking all its groups and supporters to organise protests and lobbies of MPs against plans for bombing.
This page will be updated as we get more information. Send details of actions in your area to: email@example.com
Emergency DIE-IN and protest Wednesday 2 December | 6pm | Parliament Square London | as MPs debate and vote on bombing Syria
Thousands filled Paliament square on 1 December to say Don’t Bomb Syria. We will be back again on Wednesday 2 December, as MPs debate going to war, before they vote at 10pm. We will hold a die-in against the plan to take the UK into its fourth pointless and bloody war in the last 14 years, in which we know that many civilians have already been killed in Syria as a result of western bombing.
Pressure MPs not to bomb Syria using our online lobbying tool »
It takes less than 2 minutes.
Phone parliament and leave a Vote No to War message for your MP: 020 7219 3000. Phone your MP’s constituency office (find number online).
Keep organising lobbies at MPs’ constituency offices »
Contact the Stop the War office on firstname.lastname@example.org or on 020 7561 4830 to let us know of your activities and if you need any assistance.
Campaigning costs money. Please donate to Stop the War.
Use the Twitter hashtag #DontBombSyria
Actions across the UK
- Barnsley – Protest | Wednesday 2 December | 5 pm | outside Barnsley Town Hall
- Birmingham – Protest | Wednesday 2 December | 5 pm | outside Waterstones (entrance of the Bull Ring) | Roger Godsiff Labour MP has been invited to send a message to the protest
- Bristol – Protest | Wednesday 2 December | 5.30pm | Cascade Steps | Brighton | Facebook »
- Edinburgh – Protest | Wednesday 2 December | 12pm | The Scottish Parliament | Edinburgh
- Edinburgh – Protest | Wednesday 2 December | 5pm | Duke of Wellington Statue | East End of Princes Street | Edinburgh
- Ipswich – Ipswich Stop the war, Ipswich Green party and the Suffolk People’s Assembly have called for a vigil to be held should the bombing of Syria happen. This will be on the steps of the town hall on the evening after the bombing starts.
- Leeds – Public meeting | Wednesday 2 December | 7pm | Leeds UNISON offices | 160A Woodhouse Lane LS2 9EN
- Leicester – Protest | Wednesday 2 December | 5–6.30pm | Leicester CND and others will gather at the Clock Tower, Leicester
- Liverpool – Protest | Wednesday 2 December | 6pm | outside BBC Radio Merseyside | Hanover Street | Liverpool
- Manchester – Protest | Wednesday 2 December | 5.30pm | Piccadilly Gardens | Manchester
- Nottingham – Public meeting | Wednesday 2 December | 7pm | New Mechanics Institute | North Sherwood Street | Nottingham
- Nottingham – Protest | Wednesday 2 December | 5.30pm | Brian Clough statue | Nottingham Market Square
- Oxford – Candlelit protest/vigil | Thursday 3 December | 6–7pm | Carfax end of Cornmarket Street
- Wolverhampton – Pray for Peace | Wednesday 2 December | 6–6.30pm | Wombourne Methodist Church, (Common Road, Wombourne)
See reports, pictures and video from across the UK capturing the national Don’t Bomb Syria day of action on 28 November 2015 »
- Belfast – Candlelight vigil | Tuesday 1 December | 7pm | Belfast City Hall | Website»
- Bradford – Emergency protest | Tuesday 1 December | 6pm | Centenary Square | Bradford
- Brighton – Emergency protest | Tuesday 1 December | 5.30pm | The War Memorial | Old Steine | Brighton
- Coventry – Emergency protest | Tuesday 1 December | 6pm | outside the Council House | Earl Street | Edinburgh CV1 5RR
- Newcastle – Emergency protest | Tuesday 1 December | 5pm | Grey’s Monument | Newcastle | Facebook »
- Salisbury – Emergency protest | Tuesday 1 December | 6.00pm | front of Library | Salisbury
- Truro – Emergency demo/vigil | Tuesday 1 December | 5pm | Outside Sarah Newton MP’s office | 18 Lemon Street | Cornwall TR1 2LZ | Facebook » | Lobby report » | Message board »
- Biggar – Protest | Monday 30 November | 5–7pm | the Corn Exchange
- Birmingham – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 1.30 pm | outside Waterstones, entrance to the Bull Ring | city centre | Birmingham | Contact: Stuart | tel: 07771 567 496 | email: email@example.com
- Bradford – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 3pm | Bottom of Cheapside | near Barclays Bank and Broadway shopping centre | BD1
- Brent – Public Meeting on Military Action in Syria with Barry Gardiner MP (Brent North) | Sunday 29 November | 7.30pm | St Cuthbert’s Church, 214 Carlton Avenue West, North Wembley, Middlesex HA0 3QY (just off the Watford Road)
- Bristol – Lobby at Karin Smyth’s Surgery | Friday 27 November | 9.15–10.45am | 01179 533 575 for appointment | Knowle West Health Park | Downton Road | Bristol BS4 1WH
- Bristol – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 12pm | Cascade steps | Bristol | Facebook »
- Cambridge – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 2pm rally on King’s Parade outside Kings College CB2 1ST | 3pm vigil Guildhall, Market Square | Cambridge Stop the War Coalition | Facebook »
- Cardiff – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 12 noon | Aneurin Bevan statue | Queen Street
- Cardiff – Lobby of Kevin Brennan MP | Saturday 24 October | Report »
- Chelmsford – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 11am–12 pm | outside Lloyds Bank | High Street
- Coventry – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 1pm | Broadgate (meet at Lady Godiva statue)
- Doncaster – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 12pm | Doncaster Market Place outside Primark
- Dulwich – Lobby of Helen Hayes MP | Friday 27 November | Report »
- Edinburgh – Rally | Monday 30 November | 5–7pm | East End of Princes Street | Bring candles, torches, placards and banners
- Falmouth – Lobby of Sarah Newton, Conservative MP for Truro/Falmouth | Saturday 28 November | 2pm | 18 Lemon Street | Truro | Cornwall TR1 2LZ
- Forest of Dean – Protest | Saturday 28 November | outside MP and Chief Whip Mark Harper’s office in Cinderford | Meet 12 noon at Forest Bumps’ Coffee House in Market Street
- Frome – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 11am | outside Oxfam Shop | Frome
- Glasgow – Protest | Monday 30 November | 5pm | at the Buchanan Street Steps | Livestream » Facebook »
- Hebden Bridge – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 12pm | St Georges Square | Facebook »
- Huddersfield – Vigil for peace | Saturday 28 November | 12 noon | Huddersfield Market Place HD1 2AA | Organised by Huddersfield Quakers | Facebook »
- Irvine – Vigil and gathering | Monday 30 November | 5.30–6.30pm | Bridgegate, Irvine
- Leeds – Lobby Hilary Benn MP | Friday 23 October | Report »
- Leeds – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 12 noon | Briggate outside Body Shop | Leeds LS1 6LH
- Lewisham – Lobby of Shadow Secretary of State for Health Heidi Alexander | Friday 23 October | Report »
- Liverpool – Vigil and leafleting | Saturday 28 November | 11am | Liverpool city centre | Church St (by Primark) | Liverpool L1
- Lymm – Vigil and street stall | Saturday 28 November | 10am–12pm | Lymm village | chocolates, candles and cups of tea
- Manchester – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 2pm | Picadilly Gardens | Manchester
- Milton Keynes – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 12 noon | City Square (the open area near to M&S and opposite the civic offices)
- Newcastle – Lobby of Catherine McKinnell MP | Friday 6 November | Midday | Lemington Centre | Tyne View | Newcastle upon Tyne NE15 8RZ
- Norwich – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 11.30am | Haymarket | Central Norwich
- Oxford – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 12pm | Bond Square | opposite the Westgate Centre
- Salisbury – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 11am–noon | in front of the library | bring placards
- Sheffield – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 11am | outside Sheffield Town Hall
- Streatham – Lobby of Chuka Umunna MP | Wednesday 25 November | Report »
- Swansea – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 1pm | Castle Square | Swansea
- Torquay – Protest | Saturday 28 November | 11am | East Street (outside of Tory MP Kevin Foster’s office)
- Tower Hamlets – Lobby of Rushanara Ali MP and Jim Fitzpatrick MP | Monday 30 November
- Truro – Lobby of Sarah Newton, Conservative MP for Truro/Falmouth | Saturday 28 November | 2pm | Truro | Cornwall TR1 2LZ | Report »
- Walthamstow – Lobby of Stella Creasy MP | Sunday 29 November | 12.30pm | Vestry House Museum | 12a Church Path | London E17