Siege lifted for 2.5 million inhabitants of Aleppo, Syria

Wed Nov 4, 2015 9:1AM
Syrian government forces walk in the village of Jabboul on the eastern outskirts of the northern Syrian city of Aleppo after taking control of the village from Daesh militants on October 24, 2015. (AFP photo)

Syrian government forces walk in the village of Jabboul on the eastern outskirts of the northern Syrian city of Aleppo after taking control of the village from Daesh militants on October 24, 2015. (AFP photo)

Syria’s state television says the country’s armed forces have reopened a road leading to government-controlled parts of the northern city of Aleppo.

“Our army units have gained full control of the Aleppo-Khanasser-Ithriya-al-Salmiyeh road after eliminating a number of Daesh terrorists and it will be open for citizens from tomorrow morning,” state television said on Wednesday.

The road, the sole route into the government-held side of Syria’s second city, was recaptured by the army 12 days after Daesh militants severed it, placing the government-held sector of Aleppo under siege.

The control of Aleppo, which was used to serve as Syria’s major trade hub before the crisis started in the Arab country in March 2011, has been divided between government and militants.

Fresh gains by government forces have, however, changed the situation in favor of the government of President Bashar al-Assad.

The recapturing of the road comes days after the Syrian army liberated eight villages in Aleppo Province from terrorist groups.

Syria’s army units, backed by national defense forces, retook control of the villages, including Jamaymah, Hadidah and Maryameen in Aleppo’s southern countryside.

“We secured over six villages during the past 24 hours in the southern countryside. We are determined to continue advancing in our offensive,” a Syrian army commander told Press TV on Sunday.

Also on Sunday, Syrian forces retook control of the two other villages of Shalashil and Tel Dadeen, inflicting heavy losses on the terrorists who were there.

The main Aleppo-Damascus highway out of the city has been also cut by militants, but last year the army opened another route running through Khanasser to government-controlled cities of Hama and Homs. Its closure had left residents of west Aleppo stranded.

http://presstv.ir/Detail/2015/11/04/436261/syria-militant-aleppo-road-army-

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

One Response to “Siege lifted for 2.5 million inhabitants of Aleppo, Syria”

  1. salty says:

    Russia accuses the US of bombing Aleppo

    By News Desk – 12/02/2016.

    http://www.almasdarnews.com/article/28326/

    “Just before 2 pm Moscow time (1100 GMT on Wednesday), two US Air Force A-10s flew into Syrian airspace from Turkish territory,” defense ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said in a statement. After reaching Aleppo by the most direct route, the US planes “conducted strikes against targets in the city,” Konashenkov claimed. Russia’s defense ministry said Thursday that its air force had hit 1,888 “terrorist targets” in eight regions including Aleppo, Latakia, Hama and Homs provinces over the past week. However, the defense ministry spokesman insisted that the air force’s closest bombing target to Aleppo on Wednesday was more than 20 kilometers (12 miles) outside the city. The ministry vehemently dismissed accusations that civilians had been targeted in the strikes, saying that “Russian aviation and Syrian government forces will never launch strikes on the civilian population.” Moreover, Russia said Thursday it was ready to discuss the possibility of a ceasefire in Syria as foreign ministers gathered in Munich in a bid to restart peace talks.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.