Didcot Power Station blaze suspicious. Fire Service was alerted by member of the public. What happened to the alarm system?

TAP – I am suspicious about this fire.  How could it get to the point that a member of the public was first to alert the Fire Service?  Was the alarm system deactivated or overriden to allow the fire to get established?  The fracking agenda requires the government to claim that power cuts will become necessary to justify destroying Britain’s countryside.  What better way to do that than to take out operational power stations.  Britain is under attack by our own government.
Half of an Oxfordshire power station that supplies a million homes with electricity will remain “non-operational” indefinitely after a huge fire, its owners said.
At its height, 25 fire engines and about 100 firefighters tackled the blaze at Didcot B power station.
The blaze began in a cooling tower at about 20:00 BST on Sunday and spread to three others because of strong winds.
Owner RWE npower said it did not know how long the closure would be in place.
“It is too early to give any definitive estimate of how long this will be,” the company spokesperson said.
Didcot B Power Station damageThe full extent of the damage is not yet known
Dan Meredith, from RWE npower, said electricity supplies would not be affected.
“Power stations come on and off the grid quite a lot and we’re very sustainable, we can carry on.”
The company said it was too early to say how much damage had been caused.
In a statement, National Grid said the blaze had “no operational impact” on the electricity system.
The fire was extinguished at about midnight and no-one was injured.
Map and thermal imageA thermal imaging camera shows where the fire took hold
Simon Furlong, assistant chief fire officer, said three fire engines were still at the gas-fired station on Monday morning and he expected them to be there for at least the next 24 hours.
“This was a serious fire which began in one of Didcot B power station’s cooling towers and spread to three other cooling towers,” he said.
“I expect that it will take some time to determine the reasons behind what actually happened.”
Deputy chief fire officer Nathan Travis said an investigation into the cause of the blaze was taking place and said the area affected by the blaze had been “very badly damaged”.
Didcot B Power Station damageEnergy supplies were not affected by the blaze, the station’s owner RWE npower said
Didcot B Power Station damageThe fire began in a cooling tower and spread to three others because of strong winds
Didcot B Power Station damageThree cooling towers were seriously damaged by the blaze
Didcot B Power Station damageThe major blaze at Didcot B power station has been extinguished, the fire service said on Monday
Dave Bray, the fire service’s incident commander, said: “We have extinguished the fire, although there are hot spots that are remaining within the structure.
“It is now the challenge of getting to these and dampening them down.”
Mr Bray said firefighters faced “significant challenges” during the blaze because the cooling towers were predominantly made of wood.
An automatic alarm system alerted the fire service, but the first call was actually from a member of the public at Great Western Park in Didcot, he said.
The fire service said the blaze was not being treated as arson or a terrorist incident.
Georgina Miles, who lives near the power station, said: “We saw the flames basically licking the top of the small cooling towers. It was pretty dramatic. There was a lot of damage.”

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.