The Garden Of Eden

Enough about aliens, and conspiracies of one kind or another, although I thank the readers who keep sending me things each day.

Here is something more encouraging, where man keeps government and big business out of it and creates his own life in his own hands.  I spent time in Mindanao in the Philippines, where we bought fish in the morning from fishermen on the beach, and tasted a hundred different delicious fruits that grew in different parts of the island.  The rainfall was prolific and in the heat, plants that would take six months to grow in Britain, were harvested in six weeks.  If people fell sick they knew which herbs to eat to make themselves better.

That was the period when my health really started to recover, after a few years of illness.  I would love to go back, but there were dangers in being there, with some locals were not being friendly towards a foreigner, but were more interested in what they might get from my being there.  Apart from that it was an experience of simplicity which I would recommend to anyone who needs relief from the pace of modern life, and the poor diet typical in supermarkets and restaurants.

This video reminded me of my time in Mindanao.  Life without government and big business is possible.   It seems better from the mental and the physical health viewpoints.  It came from Brasscheck TV.

6 Responses to “The Garden Of Eden”

1. Twig says:

Why don’t the Mindanaons like foreigners? Is it a religious thing?

I had no trouble from the Moslems despite travelling through Moslem villages, which were noticeably poorer. The troubles were that the family I stayed with starting to steal my stuff, and I began to feel unsafe. They were great to start with, but they began to get greedy, and I could sense that things could get nasty. The change happened very slowly, but the warning signs were there. I was advised by the Embassy to clear out of where I was staying.

They were very stupid as I was willing to help the family to set up a business and a farm, but they preferred to go for quick money by threat. It is not untypical I am told.

I still look on it as a very positive time though, and learned a lot from living away from the normal comforts of civilization.

3. Twig says:

Why did you choose Mindanao over the other provinces?

I had a good recommendation from people I knew well. After a vacation down there I decided to go and live there for a while. The fruits are amazing. It is the Garden Of Eden.

5. Twig says:

Did you try durian?

cashew fruit (grows under the nut), marang, mangosteen, durian, rambutan, guava, ripe mango, green mango, buko, tamarind and a hundred others which I don’t remember the names.

It was health on a tree, and the most delicious food. You didn’t want any sweet food like cakes or biscuits. Manmade tastes could not compete.