The Issue Blair Has Yet To Address

The issue with Blair is not how many people have been, and will be killed and maimed in Iraq or Afghanistan, but something even more fundamental, something he still seems barely aware of, the issue of Trust

In 2003, I remember thinking that the war seemed unnecessary, but if the British Prime Minister was convinced that an enemy represented an urgent threat to our safety, I had to suppress my doubts, and trust him. When it came to light that he had been lying through his teeth in almost infantile fashion, it was more than a shock.
It was the end of a time when people in Britain naturally trusted the government. The loss of life and limb is irreversible. It makes no difference how many tears we shed. But the ongoing loss that we have suffered, which persists to this day, is the total loss of trust in government. Blair along with Brown, Mandelson, Campbell, Prescott are the people who destroyed trust in Britain. It took centuries to build, and a short time to destroy. This is Blair’s legacy.
Until truth and trust are visible once more in British public life, Blair is still with us.  I look forward to the day when his influence is finally eradicated and forgotten.  I fear that what we inherited from the past has been permanently squandered.  But we have to hope, and try to rebuild the shattering of what we once were.  Whatever Blair’s few achievements, the negatives far outweigh them.  His shadow hangs over our world, and haunts every word that is spoken.  In one’s mind now, there is always a nagging doubt, or even the assumption that we are hearing only lies.  It will take a long time.

COMMENTS FROM Politicalbetting today –

1. 13 – “If any question why we died
    Tell them, because our fathers lied.”

by antifrank September 1st, 2010 at 06:38

2. 12 Well said sir.

by Patrick September 1st, 2010 at 06:40

3. …I also think antifrank is spot on with his assessment that what Blair wanted more than anything from politics was adulation. I do hope that all his money is only meagre consolation for the knowledge that his place in British political history will be something of a cautionary tale…

by Patrick September 1st, 2010 at 06:48

4. 12 – I don’t seem to remember the govt of Archer and Aitken enjoying high levels of trust.

by tim September 1st, 2010 at 06:54

5. 17 ..tim,ash et al..and all Blair apologists..The man stood at the Despatch box and lied.He lied to you, he lied to me, he lied to the H.o.C. He lied to the country and the entire world.He knew he was lying, so did the entire cabinet…He is a liar.Nothing can remove that stain…..The problem is…we all believed him..

by richard dodd September 1st, 2010 at 07:00

6. 17. I don’t remember those Prime Ministers. If you mean John Major, he is still trusted to a large extent. You never have 100% trust in anyone. But in Blair, you have absolutely none.

by Tapestry September 1st, 2010 at 07:01