Leadership. Secret plan for Johnson to be unopposed in “confirmatory” membership vote.
“Boris Johnson’s name could be the only one that goes forward to the party’s membership in the Conservative leadership election under a secret plan to avoid four weeks of damaging Tory bloodletting. Senior Cabinet ministers who are not linked to any of the six contenders in the campaign are examining whether Mr Johnson’s name alone might forward to a “confirmatory” vote of the party’s 160,000 members.
The plan was hatched in the whips office…Under the proposal the remaining candidates would bow out late next week in favour of Mr Johnson, who has built a seemingly unassailable lead among MPs and grassroots Tories, before party members voted a single question – whether they want Mr Johnson to be leader. The biggest hurdle is to convince Brandon Lewis, the party’s chairman, to back the plan. He is determined to carry out the party’s wish for candidates to be grilled by members over 16 hustings events in every region of the UK over a four week period starting in Birmingham next Saturday, June 22.” – Daily Telegraph
- The view from Canterbury – The Times
- Tory Muslim activist compares Johnson to Hitler – The Sun
- Johnson haters have lost the plot, but voters must see him scrutinised – Leader, The Sun
- ToryDiary: Why a brief membership stage of this leadership contest is right for the country and the Conservatives
- MPsETC: Which MP is backing which candidate. Our named estimates. Johnson 92, Hunt 43, Gove 34, Raab 24, Javid 19, Stewart 9
- MPsETC: Timetable for the Parliamentary stage of the Conservative leadership contest
- MPsETC: Dates of the Tory leadership hustings for Party members