Media Can’t Hide That They’re in Bed With May

By Jonathan Cook

This is the first British general election in decades in which there is anything approaching a real political choice. For that reason, even the most liberal elements within the corporate media are jettisoning the pretence of neutrality and objectivity. The stakes are simply too high.

In fact, their bias has become so overt that even a veteran BBC and Channel 4 reporter like Michael Crick is becoming exasperated and letting vent on Twitter.

Crick’s outrage has been triggered by the media’s complicity in allowing British prime minister Theresa May to stage-manage her election campaign. The media are submitting questions for vetting (without admitting the fact to viewers), and failing to report that in most cases only hardcore Tory party supporters, not members of the public, are being allowed near her.

One should not be surprised that the Conservatives want to rig the campaign trail to make their candidate look good. The problem is that the corporate media are conspiring to help them do it.

Why would the media be so willing to mollycoddle May and keep her from embarrassing herself? Doesn’t the media feed off the high and mighty being brought low by gaffes and pratfalls?

That might be true if nothing was really at stake, as has been the case in the last few decades of elections. But if May loses, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn will be in power instead. The elites are so sure they are firmly in control of everything that they are determined to make sure that doesn’t happen.

May, it is clear, is a weak public performer. That is why she has refused to debate Corbyn, and why BBC interviewers are giving her softball questions. She is even pampered with an interview on the BBC with her banker husband, Philip, posing as though they are royalty.

In contrast to May, the Labour leader makes a good impression when he is able to speak about policies rather than being battered by not just hostile, but openly disparaging, questions from BBC interviewers like Laura Kuennsberg.

During the independence referendum campaign in 2014, many Scots started to understand that they lived in an ostensible democracy only. The media, and most notably the BBC, worked so strenuously to deny them any information that might encourage them to make the “wrong” choice that the mask of neutrality slipped off. In a sign of the desperation, as the vote looked to be nail-bitingly close, even the Queen was roped in to bolster the case for staying in the union.

As the UK media all but declare fealty to May, this may prove to be an Indyref moment for the rest of Britain.

Jonathan Cook is a Nazareth- based journalist and winner of the Martha Gellhorn Special Prize for Journalism

May 10, 2017 “Information Clearing House” –

15 Responses to “British media no longer pretending to hide bias. Corbyn would stop a war. He’s being given the treatment.”

1. Bevernbridge says:

Utter nonsense. Corbyn is as Rothschildian as anyone else leading a UK political party.

Please ditch this naivety before we end up with another Blair. They are all bought and paid for, if not damagingly compromised.

• Tapestry says:

Very possibly true. But also not knowable for sure. He seems compromised I agree, as with his turnaround over the EU. However the Blairites (Rothschilds) seem determined to drive him out and replace with a Macron/Blair/Obama equivalent. That suggests he is blocking the war party. Finally May with a small majority is not half as dangerous as May with a large majority. Vote Corbyn.

• ian says:

I agree completely with you Bevernbridge. I no longer participate in party politics. If Corbyn was any threat, as was Robin Cooke, then we know what would happen. If he is not controllable he will be got rid of one way or another.

• Tapestry says:

If we do nothing, they win. They base their strategies on predicting our behaviour. We have to be unpredictable to win. Non voting means they win. Changing your vote unpredictably to block the war party is essential to our survival.

2. ian says:

I don’t agree Tap. Whatever we do short of revolution, they win. There are no real terrorists that are not state sponsored, so this means that the surveillance is for us, so revolution would be impossible. We are easier to control if we think we have a say. I feel we don’t. We get to vote for the lesser of two evils both owned by the same people.

• pete fairhurst says:

Spot on Ian.

I agree, voting is a total waste of time. The real decision makers are unseen. Politicians are ALL puppets. Their role is pure distraction.

By voting you give the “victors” your consent to act in the way that they do. To continue to facilitate their disgusting wars, their blatant kleptocracy, their 2 tier legal system [one law for them, another for the rest of us] etc etc.

I do not give they MY consent.

3. ian says:

In addition. Can you ever remember when something was bad and the government fixed it. Me neither.

• Tapestry says:

income tax was 98% top rate pre-Thatcher. don’t feel you have say. just shaft their plans if you can. if you terminate democracy, they can rightly claim you have no opinion.

• ian says:

I am from a poor working class family who has had every gain that I have ever had achieved by unions fighting the likes of Bastard Thatcher. I have never felt, nor have ever been made to feel part of Great? Britain. I feel disenfranchised, and have never had a favour done for me by the likes of politicians. You don’t speak for me, or people like me Tap, and I won’t vote for someone I don’t feel attached to in any way, because someone worse, or rather might be worse, might get elected. I once, when I still watched TV saw a debate involving the chairman of McDonalds UK. He said in reply to someone who in his eyes was not running his business as effectively, that he wasn’t exploiting his workforce to it’s fullest potential. That sort of sums up how they see the likes of me. I am now retired on the lowest state pension in Europe, thanks to the likes of your apparent hero the milk snatcher. Ps you won’t shaft their plans. They’ll just alter them.

4. ian says:

I will also say that I voted for Brexit and Scottish independence. The first to hopefully stall the Kalergi plan which is in full swing in Europe, the second because Scotland is a viable country with huge oil reserves worth billions. England uses Scotland as a lesser country to try out new laws in. The election was fiddled the people were lied to deliberately, if you are happy to call this democracy, then I feel that you must be being blackmailed by MI5.

5. ferryt says:

The truth will set you free Tap.

Bloody right Ian and nice to hear from you.

Cheers

The point I am making is that British tanks are sitting in Jordan on the border with Syria awaiting a vote in Parliament to release an invasion. If the Tories get a big majority, the vote to invade is a given. Your call.