on May 11, 2016
Roger Waters

For years now we have admired Roger Waters’s moral courage, his refusal to back down from his criticism of Israel even if his career is torched by his witness. And I have heard rumors of that career-blackmail being levied at the legendary musician who never met his father or grandfather (because they died freeing Europe) and who burst into rock and roll fame without even wanting that when he was in his early 20s because he was political before he was musical.

Those rumors are confirmed; now this committed soul has burst out in the English press with a description of the vicious smears the Israel lobby has used against him, which he has overcome, in an effort to get others to join him in speaking out against Israeli apartheid. Pointing out that British musicians have supported BDS– Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign– Waters says that American artists are “scared shitless” against such actions because their careers “will be destroyed.” But we need them desperately, as we did in Vietnam days.

Here are some of Waters’s statements to the Independent:

“The only response to BDS [] is that it is anti-Semitic,” Waters told The Independent, in his first major UK interview about his commitment to Israeli activism. “I know this because I have been accused of being a Nazi and an anti-Semite for the past 10 years.

“My industry has been particularly recalcitrant in even raising a voice [against Israel]. There’s me and Elvis Costello, Brian Eno, Manic Street Preachers, one or two others, but there’s nobody in the United States where I live. I’ve talked to a lot of them, and they are scared s***less….

“If they say something in public they will no longer have a career. They will be destroyed. I’m hoping to encourage some of them to stop being frightened and to stand up and be counted, because we need them. We need them desperately in this conversation in the same way we needed musicians to join protesters over Vietnam.”

“My father died fighting the Nazis, my mother [a strong Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament and Labour supporter] devoted her life to doing everything she could to create a more humane world.

“We are asking questions that have never been asked until the last couple of years, which are bringing the wrath of the Israeli lobby down on people like me and all the others who dare to question and criticise.

“[The Israeli lobby] is determined not to let that conversation develop into one that people can listen to and that is why they accuse us of being Nazis. This idea that BDS is the thin end of some kind of genocidal Nazi wedge that ends up in another Holocaust – well it isn’t.”

This is the sort of brave testimony we have come to expect from Waters. Four years ago I saw him at the Russell Tribunal patiently describing Palestinian conditions. Last week I saw him speaking at a Palestinian solidarity event in lower Manhattan. He has freely extended his fame and his most famous work, The Wall album, to the Palestinian people– as I know that he would be doing for Jews if it was my people being persecuted.

Remember that Nebraska Senator Chuck Hagel let a bit of this truth slip out a few years ago– the Jewish lobby intimidates people on Capitol Hill, he told Aaron David Miller — and he was dragged through every sewer in Washington by the Israel lobby, and damaged. But that tactic is wearing out, and by standing tall, Waters is helping to defeat it. Let’s hope his latest bravery inspires and frees others. Like what about Stevie Van Zandt, who helped to lead the South African artistic boycott movement, but who has defied calls on him as a member of Bruce Springsteen’s band to stay away from Israel this summer. Van Zandt wrote:

“You and the other Israel boycotters are politically ignorant obnoxious idiots… Israel is one of our two friends in the Middle East. In addition to the fact that a boycott in that case would accomplish nothing. Go get educated.”

Roger Waters is providing a moral education. Every age brings fresh injustice, which calls on those of conscience who have strong spines to stand up. Waters and others have beaten a path. Let more and more join them.

Source: http://mondoweiss.net/2016/05/musicians-destroyed-palestinians/

12 Responses to “American musicians are ‘scared sh*tless’ their careers ‘will be destroyed’ if they speak up for Palestinians — Roger Waters”

1. little me says:

THEN LET THEM DESTROY ALL OF US,

2. ian says:

I admire his courage. It has to be seen in the wider picture, that unless a stand is made sooner or later, Israel and Zionist Israeli politics will affect us all. When these guys are behaving like the church did 400 years ago, then perhaps it’s time for changes.

• UglyTruth says:

Zionist politics already affect us. The connection with the church is via Rabbinical Judaism to the Pharisees to the Pharisee Paul of Tarsus. The schism here is between religious hyprocisy and the idealism of the prophets of Israel – Zionism doesn’t reflect the Tsiyown of King David, it’s a secular movement which misappropriates the religious status of Biblical Israel.

• ian says:

This why I said that I admire his courage, UT’. Their control has laws guarding them which inhibits free speech, and although I am lagging behind some of you guys in theistic knowledge, I have a good knowledge of the modern day control these guys have over our lives. I feel however very unsure as to what can and cannot be said legally. Incitement is a crime now too, and as you must be aware, these guys are adept at manipulating situations to their advantage. In a sentence, I admire his courage because I lack it. In my defence, I have so little faith in our legal system and media, that I would expect the roof to come down on me if they attacked, as it did on many others.

• UglyTruth says:

As to what can be said legally, the doctrine of contra proferentem works against you if your statement can be misinterpreted. Blaming the Jews for the politics of the Zionist state can be construed as a false accusation, since being Jewish is a religious or cultural designation, not a political one. In general the truth is a complete defence against the accusation of defamation, but I hardly need to tell you that the Zionists don’t have a history of playing by the rules.

• ian says:

Yes UT’, you’re correct there, e.g., in countries where holocaust denial laws are in place, only proving that you never committed the alleged offence is a defence, not that what you said was true.

3. Dublinmick says:

I read it once in awhile myself.

Sadiz Khan campaigns in Hebrew, welcomed ectastically by London Jews.

Looks like another con.

• Men Scryfa says:

Meanwhile as we know Dublin the wheel turns and the ancient cycle keeps moving

The ancient energy lines are warming up again – some of us can feel them

4. Dublinmick says:

I may have to do a post on this. The Wahabbis are actually the military arm of the vatican, trained for centuries and this is their day in the sun.

Erdogan is giving rallies, covered up in the msn, speaking about the conquest. That means all of Europe, and if you don’t think it is happening, take a look around.

I am finishing the book Catherine the Great by Henri Troyat. Troyat is where you go if you really want to understand Russia.

Catherine the Great first decided that Crimea needed to be seized due to the many wars with Turkey. She sent one of her lovers there, general Potemkin, who took over. He began moving settlers to Crimea and building the population, schools and roads. Remember this crucial area is what the mensche Kruschev gave back to Ukraine. It is key to war in the black sea. Galicia in fact was once under Austria.

Naturally the Tartars (basically Turks) were enraged. They finally declared war on Russia. Big mistake!

It is interesting that at the same time, the rest of Europe complained about it, England and France especially. Sweden saw it as an opportunity to attack Russia from another flank. Big mistake. You can see today however that the old wounds are reopening, ancient rivalries. NATO once again is threatening Russia.

They asked Catherine the Great if she was going to retreat to Moscow. She laughed and said you think I will run from the Swedes, those whom Peter the Great crushed? Never.

Peter the Great is famous for saying never trust a Turk or a man who doesn’t drink! In fact Catherine removed the heads of Peter’s wife’s lovers who were preserved in a jar from the gallery.

Turks are on the move declaring they will take Europe by emigration. They have a great start too you must admit.

The morons in Europe are under the sway of the vatican which wants all orthodox believers destroyed for the glory of Rome. They are willing to finish the European to accomplish this.

Turkey was once actually Greece. The wahabbis wiped it out and declared it the new nation of Turkey. Now Turkey is moving toward Europe. Cyprus is already half colonized. The hordes are landing on Greek beaches.

I still say most of the seers are correct. The third world war will begin with Greece and Turkey. Russia has one of their most coveted monasteries in Greece and a base on Cyprus.

We see what is happening in Syria. Turkey will someday cease to exist.

I may have to do a post on this! 🙂

• Nicky says:

I get the feeling the vatican and co are engineering the Apocolypse as they know the game is up. Even had an tv prog on some prophecies of an nun yesters saying the end is basically nigh.

It is as if they (The hierarchy enslaving you) are planting the seeds of doom in the collective consciousness. Deliberately making everyone depressed and ill, Generating conflicts.

I got an rather odd apology from one spook I was dating years ago, She had no idea i suspected her of being one, She was not the first to come wandering into my life and do odd things. She has just sold up her low lying house. I went to do some work at the other end of the same street today and saw the sold sign. Interesting times. Bet she is heading for higher ground 🙂

the apology went something like, I am sorry, I have done something horrible to you. That was it. No elaboration or chance given to ask more as we had just split up.