Red-handed: UK military trained Saudis as they rained fire on Yemen, says Reprieve

15 Apr, 2016

© Khaled Abdullah Ali Al Mahdi

 

UK military personnel have delivered a series of three-week courses on “international targeting” to the Saudi forces currently engaged in pummeling Yemen, a Freedom of Information (FoI) request shows.

The revelations were made following a request by the human rights NGO Reprieve. The organization is now urging the UK government to stop providing military support.

While the MoD has long claimed its role is purely advisory, the revelations lay bare the closeness with which the two countries operate.

It now appears courses were being run by RAF officers as recently as 2015 on “international targeting” over three separate three-week blocks.

This included training on the Storm Shadow missile, which is launched from aircraft to destroy enemy bunkers.

Gunnery instruction on targeting and locating enemy gun batteries was also carried out by a seven-strong detachment of personnel from the Royal Artillery.

The artillery team delivered 52 hours of training to Saudi gunners and included a senior major, a captain, a sergeant major and a sergeant.

The MoD said the course had been delivered to “a mixed group of soldiers and officers” from the Royal Saudi Land Forces RSLF) field artillery.

Saudi personnel have also visited the UK for training.
The military said their personnel were not involved in “carrying out strikes, directing or conducting operations in Yemen or selecting targets, and are not involved in the Saudi targeting decision-making process.

They stressed, as they have on numerous occasions, that the UK military “provide guidance on best practice techniques, including advice to help continued compliance with international humanitarian law.

Reprieve case worker Omran Belhadi said: “Claims by ministers that Britain is helping the Saudi government abide by the law are disingenuous.

He pointed out that legal training on rules of engagement and the laws of war did not seem to have sunk in if, indeed, it was delivered.

Extensive British ‘targeting training’ has done nothing to prevent the bombing of schools, hospitals and weddings, and the deaths of thousands of Yemeni civilians,” Belhadi told the Guardian.

 

Related:

UK not going to Libya … but has boatload of crack troops quietly floating around Med

RFA Mounts Bay, a Bay class auxiliary landing ship dock of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary. © Graeme Main
UK officials deny troops will go to Libya, refusing to comment on current SAS operations. Yet a shipload of commandos, intelligence operators and landing craft specialists is quietly positioned within striking distance of the war-torn North African state.

The existence of the 150-strong amphibious Special Purpose Task Group (SPTG) was revealed on Thursday by the IHS Jane’s defense website, which claims to have seen a Royal Marines briefing document.

While it is normal for Royal Navy vessels to have a ‘ship’s company’ of commandos aboard, the SPTG is an unusual case.

Quietly formed in December 2015, the unit consists of a company of Royal Marine Commandos and attached personnel from army commando artillery and engineer units.

It also has soldiers from the 17 Port and Maritime Regiment – an army unit which contains landing craft specialists – and marines from the shadowy 30 Commando military intelligence unit which specializes in “information exploitation.

The SPTG departed Southampton’s Marchwood military port in January aboard the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) landing vessel Mounts Bay for what the briefing document terms “contingency operations in the Mediterranean.

On Tuesday the Mounts Bay was reported to be in Gibraltar for routine maintenance, so it did not have to leave its area of operations to return to the UK.

Between setting sail and docking in in Gibraltar, the MOD claims the ship was carrying out anti-trafficking operations in the Aegean by “identifying smugglers taking migrants to Greece and passing the information to the Turkish coastguard so they can intercept these boats.

In earlier reports, the presence aboard the RFA Mounts Bay – or even existence – of the SPTG do not appear have not been mentioned. The unit was only added to the Royal Navy’s standing deployment Wikipedia page on Thursday.

However, the special purpose of the Special Purpose Task Group is not entirely clear given the range of warfighting equipment on-board.

Before maintenance at Gibraltar’s Gibdock, a local newspaper reported that up to 42 land vehicles were unloaded from the ship which is apparently charged with seaborne anti-people-smuggling operations.

The images of the unloading also appear to show a military crane and an Oshkosh bulk fuel transporter being lifted from the Mounts Bay onto a ferry.

The deployment has been reported during a row between MPs about what the UK’s plans for Libya are.

It had been thought that the arrival in Tripoli in March of the new UN-brokered unity government could see UK troops deployed as part of a 6,000-strong Italian led brigade – a move blasted by both politicians and high-ranking military veterans of 2011 Libyan war.

On Thursday the Libyan united government publicly turned down UK troops out of fear that Western backing would make them appear to be foreign puppets and that outside forces would serve to unite warring militias.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has been asked for comment.

On Thursday, the outspoken chair of the Commons Foreign Affairs Committee, Crispin Blunt, argued that government should come clean on the presence of UK Special Forces in Libya and attacked Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond for being “less than candid” about UK military activity there.

While the government refuses to comment on Special Forces operations as matter of policy, it was reported by the Guardian on 25 March that leaked conversations between King Abdullah of Jordan and senior US Republicans confirmed the SAS’s presence in Libya since at least January 2016.

Sources:

https://www.rt.com/uk/339740-uk-military-training-saudis/

https://www.rt.com/uk/339724-elite-troops-libya-force/

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

One Response to “Red-handed: UK military trained Saudis as they rained fire on Yemen, says Reprieve”

  1. Nicky says:

    All the while Bahrain’s citizens where being crushed and abused. I wish these freaks would leave our UK shores and move to the Hells on Earth they create. The UK has for far to long been home to middle eastern nut jobs world domination plans. Bring on free energy technology. At least then we could be free of the bloody middle east and it’s semite religions once and for all.
    Our ancestors had to take over the bloody world to stop the folk from the south invading our shores. Time we severed all links with them. Arming and training them is plain stupid. We have enough semites here already to assimilate.
    No way am I becoming a Muslim. We only just got the Semite Catholic paedo’s off our backs. The jews are all but geared up to move to Israel to set up there one world government so that will be them gone soon. The last thing we need is a well trained well armed saudi Army coming North when they get nuked by the jews.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.