How to avoid heart trouble and live healthier for longer

By Dr. Mercola

GrassrootsHealth in conjunction with the University of California San Diego has recently released a series of Vitamin D continuing education training courses and certifications you won’t want to miss.

Whether you are a health care professional or a layperson looking to increase your knowledge, these presentations are sure to be of benefit to everyone — and they’re offered free of charge!

Today I’m also offering a live webinar in which I’ll discuss a number of otheressential nutritional strategies for optimal health. If you have not yet registered for this webinar, you can do so in the webinar section below.

health-elderly_2323847b

Free Vitamin D Education for the General Public

Free education sessions for the general public can be found on the University of California Vitamin D for Public Health page. Here you will learn about the science of sunshine exposure and vitamin D, the health conditions affected by vitamin D, how to optimize your vitamin D levels, and much more.

Thousands of studies have been done on the health effects of vitamin D, and research shows that it is involved in the biochemical function of all cells and tissues in your body, including your immune system and function.

When you’re deficient in vitamin D, your health can deteriorate in any number of ways, because your cells actually need the active form of vitamin D to gain access to the genetic blueprints stored inside the cell.

It’s been estimated that if vitamin D levels were raised among the general population, it could prevent chronic diseases that claim nearly one million lives throughout the world each year!

So please, take advantage of this fabulous opportunity to get this vital education free of charge, and share it with everyone you know so they can be empowered too.

Besides addressing your diet, optimizing your vitamin D level is perhaps one of the most potent ways you can improve your health.

Free Certification Courses for Health Professionals

For health care professionals, each course provides one AMA continuing education credit.

• Level 1 D*Certification: Public Health Initiative: Meeting the Vitamin D Requirements of the Pregnant Woman and Improving Health Outcomes is taught by Dr. Carol Wagner, a neonatologist with the Medical University of South Carolina
  • Level 2 D*Certification: Vitamin D, Sunshine, Optimal Health: Putting it all Together is led by one of the leading researchers in the field of vitamin D, Dr. Robert Heaney of Creighton University

You can sign up for these classes on GrassrootsHealth’s Free Online CMEpage.

Upon completion of these courses, you can fill out a form to be listed on GrassrootsHealth’s website as a Certified Vitamin D practitioner. Practitioners are also encouraged to enroll their pregnant patients in the Protect Our Children NOW! project, which is now running nationwide.

Health outcomes of mothers and children will be tracked to demonstrate the results of vitamin D optimization during pregnancy and to monitor for any unusual conditions, and the results of the program will be reported in the scientific literature and to the community.

How to Enroll in Protect Our Children NOW!

Protect Our Children NOW! seeks to resolve vitamin D deficiency among pregnant women and children, and the campaign will also raise global awareness about the health risks associated with vitamin D deficiency.

Among other items, the projects expected impact is likely to be a reduction in preterm births (in some cases up to a 50 percent reduction). If you are 12 to 17 weeks pregnant, at least 18 years of age, and currently reside in the US, you may enroll in this fully sponsored project at no cost to you. Participation in the program includes:

• Free vitamin D blood tests
  • Your and your newborn’s new questionnaire entries
  • Reporting of results directly to you
  • Free vitamin D supplements

Vitamin D Is Crucial for Optimal Health

Optimizing your vitamin D level is vital for health, and compelling research shows there’s typically a significant reduction in disease risk, no matter what disease is under investigation. Several forms of cancer appear to be reduced by 40 to 50 percent or more, for example.

Vitamin D can also reduce your risk of heart attack by about 50 percent. And, beware… research suggests that if you have a heart attack while being vitamin D deficient, your risk of dying from that heart attack is upwards of 100 percent!

Type 1 and type 2 diabetes, asthma, and allergies are also impacted by your vitamin D levels, as are virtually all autoimmune diseases, and many neurological disorders as well, including Alzheimer’s disease. But there are also a number of other proactive strategies that will help you optimize your health, several of which I’ll address in today’s webinar.

Day Two of My Live Webinar Today!

Yesterday, my live talk centered around the five items needed to help reverse illness. In today’s webinar (10 am CST), I will highlight a number of essential nutritional strategies. If you have not yet registered for this webinar, you can access it by clicking on the button below. Three really essential nutritional tools to maintain health are:

1. Maintaining the proper balance of gut bacteria
  2. Obtaining high quality omega3 fats
  3. Maintaining your CoQ10 levels

In addition to these three key strategies, today’s talk will also cover:

22 Responses to “How to avoid heart trouble and live healthier for longer”

1. Dogman says:

It seems that lycopene is a very useful substance for combating high cholesterol and the resulting risk of heart disease, but it also has other benefits. As an antioxidant it reduces the risk of free radical damage within the body, therefore helping to prevent the development of a number of cancers.

While all tomatoes are an excellent source of lycopene, in this case eating tomatoes raw may not be the best way to get this nutrient. It is difficult for the body to absorb lycopene from raw tomatoes, so cooking them is a healthier option. Tomato paste, tomato sauce and various forms of cooked tomatoes, all of which can be used in making pasta or pizza, are effective ways to increase your lycopene intake.

Other sources of lycopene include watermelon, guava, papaya, pink grapefruit, apricots and rose hips. However, in these sources it is present in lower concentrations than in tomatoes.

There is far more to the humble tomato than a simple dose of lycopene. A member of the potato family, tomatoes are packed full of healthy nutrients in just the right proportion for the human body to make use of, and they are very low in calories to boot.

Here are a few of the additional nutrients found in tomatoes:

•Beta carotene is a powerful antioxidant that helps to combat a number of cancers, and is also converted into Vitamin A by the body. Vitamin A is essential for growth, to maintain good eyesight and skin, and to protect the lining of the digestive, respiratory and urinary tracts.
    •Potassium is a mineral that is essential for nerve impulse transmissions within the body. It also balances fluid and electrolyte levels, helps to maintain a regular heart beat, and regulates blood pressure.
    •Vitamin C is essential for the production of collagen, and is used to maintain healthy skin, bones, teeth and gums. Vitamin C helps in the healing of wounds. It is also needed for iron absorption and to produce neurotransmitters that regulate blood flow and sleep. Although cooked tomatoes are a better source of lycopene, you will get more Vitamin C from tomatoes if you eat them raw.
    •Vitamin E is a vital antioxidant that protects the body from damage when polyunsaturated fats are oxidized within the body’s cells. It is also needed to maintain healthy blood cells, to protect the lungs and tissues from pollutants, and to produce certain enzymes.
    As you can see there are plenty of reasons to include a large volume of tomatoes in your diet. They form an important part of the Mediterranean diet which has long been valued for reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease. Because there are so many ways to cook with tomatoes there is no excuse not to include this valuable food in your diet.

http://alignlife.com/articles/healthyha … holesterol

• NPP says:

Re: combating high cholesterol…. ?
      Is there such an issue?
      Like ‘calories’, a nonsense term, so I understand.
      I’m sure I have come across the essential benefits of Cholesterol, but this is a suggestion to check out, I am not 100% sure.

2. Lynn says:

We had everything we needed. In the mid 50s no one was obese. We are all now lacking nutrition. Healthy eating has become a money spinner for the parasites. Gyms and diets and supplements, low fat this and that, sugar free etc etc. No one is healthy today. The food chain has been hijacked. They have dimmed the sun. We are all suffering from the lack of natural food air and water. But that was unprofitable.

3. Bluefeather6 says:

Bio photon foods contain the sun energy
    Here is a brilliant article that explains about it all
    Links up with Harry Olfields work, in that his NEV camera picks up the light from the body or any organism and decodes it into colour.

4. Dogman says:

Bluefeather6, thanks that is really interesting info and i’ve nicked it to share with others.

Lynn, I agree with what you say about the poor habits of so many people today. Loads of people join a gym as a New Year resolution, but rarely last until Easter. Far too many people get old because they give up exercise.Saying they are giving up exercise because they are too old is nonsense. Just an excuse.
    If public health was a genuine concern, organic food would be subsidised and GM would be much more strictly controlled. The lies about what is healthy and what isn’t is hopelessly flawed. If people cut out high fructose corn syrup and fizzy drinks and limit their sugar/dextrose/sucrose intake, the weight will drop off.

5. Lynn says:

An but its all hidden and sold as sugar free. Aspartame is the new sugar, hence the weight gain. The body is a computer and knows exactly how to process food. They have put so many chemicals in the food that the body cannot process. Hence overweight sick people. Their were no gyms back in the day. People ate fresh local food bought day to day and cooked in animal fats. They walked , they weren’t all in cars. Tell me do the royals go to a gym. They seem to live longer than most .

6. Dogman says:

Yeah, you’re right about the royals not going to gyms Lynn. I doubt that what helps them is freely available to us serfs though.
    In 1990, a high-profile study showed that trans fats increased risk factors for heart disease more than saturated fats did.
    Under pressure from CSPI and the National Heart Savers Foundation, many food manufacturers began replacing saturated fats with trans fats in the late 1980’s. Then, in 1990, a study that has been retroactively regarded as the beginning of the end for trans fats was published in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)… Schleifer writes:

“High levels of ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol are thought to increase the risk of heart disease. But high levels of ‘good’ high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol are also thought to protect against heart disease. Some types of saturated fats, such as stearic acid, for example, increase good HDL cholesterol.

[Lead author of the NEJM study] Martijn Katan was interested in whether and how trans fats affected good HDL cholesterol. He said that he did not have sufficient funding to address that question until Unilever hired a chief of nutrition who was willing to fund the research that became the NEJM study.

Katan and his graduate assistant Ronald Mensink fed diets based on monounsaturated, saturated, and trans fats to human subjects for three weeks per diet. Katan said the subjects’ cholesterol measurements ‘came out totally different from what I had expected and predicted.’

Trans fats raised bad LDL cholesterol and also ‘turned out to really lower HDL fairly dramatically.’ Katan’s experiment therefore suggested that trans fats increased the risk of heart disease more than saturated fats did. As per his agreement with Unilever, Katan showed them his results before publication. Like him “they were surprised. But they never tried to maneuver things or influence things… or to cover up.”

I read what’s listed in the ingredients of everything I buy and I walk a few miles each day thanks to my dogs and I also do a few exercises each day, but then I’m a tad OCD, lol.

7. Driver47 says:

No Lynn the royals live longer because they don’t have the day to day stress normal people have. They say they work but giving a speech or shaking someone’s hand., in my book, doesn’t counter mount to work.

8. Driver47 says:

By the way my Dad is 76, he loves his bacon sandwiches etc but everyday he’s out walking the dogs for 5 miles and then doing the gardening where my parents grow lots of their own food.

9. Lynn says:

That’s the proof right there then Driver. Good food and normal activity. Not shoving fast processed food down and stressing the body out in a gym. Repetitive sport and excersise damages the joints. Normal walking and gardening etc is the best way to a long and healthy existence,

• ferryt says:

More home grown tatties, carrots and beans for dinner tonight.

It really is the way forward.

I’m lucky though. Plenty have no access to land nor choice. Just as they like it.

10. Dogman says:

Right again Lynn. I have suffered with joint problems from all the sport I played regularly until I was 43. I no longer try to lift huge weights, but exercise using my body weight. Power to weight ratio stuff, dips and pull ups on alternate days. I’m about 14 stone and don’t worry about the weight, more the amount of body fat, which is down to what I eat.
    I noticed that the body builders (back in my gym days) got their stomach muscle definition thru diet not obvious stomach exercise, although admittedly a lot of stomach muscles are involved in core exercises. Running is especially damaging to the joints! I’d rather use a punch bag than run for cardio work. Actually I like hitting a punchbag to be honest, and it is a very good workout.

• yes no interlude says:

Dogman…. me too I beat up my pillows. I imagine its I D S /camoron/ blair/ so-vile the so called royals etc etc etc the list is endless……………

11. Driver47 says:

Dogman I sympathize with you. 4 ops on my knee from football. Broken ankles etc. now at 47 I still feel the pain especially in winter. I play golf which includes a lot walking and swim as often as I can.

12. Driver47 says:

Lynn, I’m lucky living here, fresh fish is available everywhere and when I say fresh I mean, choose the one in the tank still swimming around

13. Lynn says:

It really is common sense guys. The body is a clever machine. Joints are shock absorbers and pounding them wears them out. Just stick to normal exercise and natural food. We are part of the ecology system and a bit of everything is a good guide. The body uses it but anything else is stored up and unused causing sickness.

14. Lynn says:

P’s I like the idea of punching. I can think of quite a few I would have no trouble punching. Not very ladylike but I don’t care.lol

15. Dogman says:

Lynn, it is one of the best exercises you can do if you don’t have much spare time. If you can set a timer, see how many close range punches you can land in a minute and work on improving your total. You will eventually need somebody to count for you and I’ll warn you that the hardest thing to do is to remember to breathe, lol. No kidding, but its great for stress relief and it could help you in a confrontation.
    Also if your knees are healthy enough, you can do alternate leg kicks at various heights, which will work glutes and waist. You’ll get endorphin rushes too. I reckon if someone marketed punchbags with faces of politicians on, they’d make a fortune.

16. Lynn says:

Like that idea a lot Dogmam…get it started I reckon 50 million straight off the shelves. Haha and truly satisfying exercise. Lol