Don’t let schools fingerprint your kids

I assume this is a Mum speaking out.  I share her letter in Peterborough Today newspaper…  NPP

My Opinion: Question of fingerprinting in schools:

“As parents and grandparents begin shopping for shirts, shoes and geometry sets, I wonder how many realise that on the first day at secondary school their children will have their fingerprints recorded and added to a catalogue of biometric data.

From the schools’ point of view, the use of a child’s fingerprints reduces administration, cash handling and, theoretically, prevents bullying. However, some parents, including me, have reservations about the collection and storage of unique information about our children.

Firstly, the system is managed by large corporate bodies who do not have a brilliant track record for ethical behaviour.

Secondly, the system is not foolproof and has been known to confuse data. Thirdly, more child-friendly alternatives are available, for example encouraging pupils to actually speak to dinner staff and librarians.

Finally, I understand why children should be finger-printed by the police if they are suspected of a crime but is the routine harvesting of biometric data for schools’ convenience really necessary? Why not just give all the kids electronic tags and finish the job?

Thankfully, the law is clear. The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 ensures that where schools have IT systems which prefer fingerprints, an alternative system must be offered for parents who object to the expansion of this Big Brother technology.

Why not get your 11-year-old to join the resistance?”

7 Responses to “Don’t let schools fingerprint your kids”

what i did with my kids is smear a spot of superglue over their prints
    simple

2. NPP says:

Thanks TAP. This is what is required, apparently ‘ordinary’ being extraordinary and stepping up, speaking up…

Superglue?! Funny. Interesting idea though.

3. NPP says:

This is a bit dramatic New World Order fear mongering, but it does relay facts and probable plans for monitoring the public… all parents have to do is be aware and speak up.

Schools Installing Facial Recognition Systems to Identify “Trouble Makers”

Cataloging everyone’s every move

Celebrity spotting systems for stores

Identify problem customers

Spot genetic disorders

Stalkers dream come true

I work at a school. This is utter BS.

5. NPP says:

I too have worked in several schools, UK and abroad.

I suggest the issue be properly discussed rather than blindly implemented.

Please ,please tell me how fingerprinting kids will stop bullies????????? what a load of Bull Crap if ever

7. Julia says:

It is not bullshit. It is already happening in schools in Bath where I live. Kids I know have been fingerprinted.
    It is changing the culture so that we are all accustomed to be treated as criminals until proven innocent.
    The same thing happens at airports. You are scanned and body searched and have to take off some. your clothes as if you are a criminal entering prison.
    You can choose not to be involved with schools or airports.
    Or you can keep pleading for a better system from the great masters who run the show.
    If your child is the only one not fingerprinted they will probably be bullied and criticised and witch hunted, the same as if your child is not vaccinated. This social effect makes children want to join in to avoid the backlash