Bradley Manning had no chance of a fair trial

Manning “Apologizes”
By Sherwood Ross
Perhaps the most stunning aspect of the Bradley Manning trial was his apology yesterday to the court that, “I am sorry that my actions hurt people…(and) the United States” when, in fact, there is no proof they did either. This show of repentance and contrition offered during the sentencing phase of his trial for feeding WikiLeaks 700,000 military and diplomatic documents is pardonable given that Manning faces 90 years in prison and the price he’s paid for his past honesty and courage has been three years behind bars, during which time he was tortured, humiliated, and hectored as any captive of the medieval Inquisition.
So here is Manning, pleading for forgiveness, confessing the errors of his way, every word out of his mouth undercutting the true reasons for his action, which was that he prayed his leaks would spark “worldwide discussions, debates and reforms.”  Yet, who is this idealistic young man from Crescent, Okla., to stand against the likes, say, of a Hillary Clinton, the former Secretary of State who charged Manning’s action “threatens our national security.” Ms. Clinton, of course, by supporting America’s criminal wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, (for which she will never be asked to apologize in a court of law,) did damage to America that would be unimaginable to PFC Manning, in that the wars she supported have drained the pockets of American taxpayers more effectively than a thousand Las Vegas casinos, and filled the morgues of the Middle East with the remains of a million innocent human beings gunned down by American firepower of the sort that emanated in 2007 from a U.S. Apache helicopter over Baghdad that we would not know about today if PFC Manning had not sent gunsight videotapes of the massacre to WikiLeaks. “There is no evidence that a single US soldier or civilian has been harmed as a result of his leaks,” writes Chase Madar in the August 19-26 issue of The Nation magazine.
Forensic psychiatrist Navy Reserve Captain David Moulton testified, “Manning was under the impression that the information he was giving was going to change the way the world saw the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and future wars, actually,” according to a Reuters  account of the trial. As Manning is discovering to his sorrow, that kind of idealism has no place in America  today, when the country Abraham Lincoln called “the last, best hope of Earth” has degenerated into a common imperial war machine.
“Defense lawyers seeking a milder sentence rested their case on Wednesday after Manning’s statement,” Reuters reported. “With about a dozen witnesses including Army superiors, mental health professionals and Manning’s own sister, they sought to show Judge Colonel Denise Lind that commanders ignored signs of mental stress.” In fact, the defense has put forward arguments the judge may well dismiss out of hand, such as Manning’s troubled upbringing, the alcoholism of his parents, his desire to be a member of the opposite sex, the unraveling of a romantic relationship, etc., etc. Pardon me, but that ain’t gonna wash.
No, Bradley Manning is going to do hard time for America’s sins guided by a defense that had no chance from the start of obtaining a fair trial, especially after President Obama prejudicially declared two years ago that Manning “broke the law” when he “dumped” those documents. Obama claimed, “We’re a nation of laws. We don’t let individuals make their own decisions about how the laws operate.” (!!) This from Global Terrorist Number One, a man who has gutted the Constitution by signing the National Defense Authorization Act into law and has empowered himself to kill people in the Middle East, Africa, and elsewhere, without legal warrants or trials. Obama’s assassinations are based on “suspicions” of a CIA Gestapo that has  betrayed democracy at every turn while compiling an ugly record of Ku Klux Klan-style kidnapping, torture and murder Obama chooses to ignore. Sadly, the prosecution of Bradley Manning has come to symbolize the new fascism that has taken over America. When Judge Lind sentences Manning, the nation’s prison population will increase at one stroke from two million to 300 million.  #
(Sherwood Ross is a Miami-based public relations consultant who formerly worked in the civil rights movement as well as for major dailies and wire services. To comment or contribute to his Anti-War News Service, reach him at sherwood.ross@gmail.com. )

10 Responses to “Bradley Manning had no chance of a fair trial”

Manning is a non person, he has no Family photographs, and no life history, he is an actor.

If Manning get’s locked up for 90 years we will have seen the last of him.
    That is, we will see the same photo, the only one he has.

3. NPP says:

Family photos?

“During his time as an intelligence analyst for the Army, he was struggling with his gender identity…”
    So what!
    This facade of an apology and released photo stinks. This helicopter footage remains among the most disturbing of videos:
    He should be free. The US government is ‘1984’.

Well NPP I am struggling to take you post’s seriously.
    The man is an actor.

Well anon 8:17, looks like you are wrong.
    Just found 5 photo’s of Manning, all in the army.
    Just 3 are photoshopped, so I suppose you are half right.

6. NPP says:

Please do not struggle. I do not pretend to know. If Manning is an actor, so be it. I don’t know. I do know that klling civilians as per the helicopter footage is apparently real and unacceptable, whether it was Manning, Wikileaks or whom ever respponsible for the release of the footage.
    I grew up thinking the BBC was a standard bearer for news and information for the UK and the world. With the advent of age, experience and the internet, I now realise differently. I post sincerely with curiosity and try to maintain some humour along the way. I guess David Icke’s forth coming book theme sums it up: The Perception Deception.

I attended 7 cancer related funerals 2008/9 and following 9/11 it has been an on-going search for ‘truth’. After my own investigaitons, I suspect cancer has long been treatable without need for cutting and radiating and I do not support the perpetual war that seems to be general policy by the powerful governments of the world. I realise it is pissing in the wind to challenge the system yet remain optimistic that sites like TAP can contribute toward a healthier future.

For all I know TAP is controlled opposition and a disinformationl site. I doubt it, but I do not know. I wish my taxpayer funded BBC news would ask some of the questions TAP engages in.

I post openly and not anonymously and aim to choose love over fear. It is a bloody challenge though. I bet at least some of my observations and comments are inaccurate, but I speak up rather than apathetically say nothing and my faults are authentic mistakes.

It is an uneccessary photo of Manning in a wig. What he does in his bedroom is up to him. The killing of those Iraqis in the street left an indellible impression upon me and I wish to be part of a reawakening that ceases such awful human behaviour.

What’s more I follow Arsenal – a game of 22 over paid tattooed numbskulls chasing a bag of air around. I remember Icke as a rather dull sports anchor. He’s certainly not dull now. How things change. Life!

Hi Tap, NPP this is how the blog works, whilst Tap is on holiday we can just about say anything.
    It has been said he has gone to Area 51 to look for Aliens.
    Sometimes we have to take sides, the Elite are our main enemy, they lie to us and are mainly evil.
    We try to discredit them, say with the Manning photo’s.
    If you look at them they have several defects mainly with focus points.
    Usually pictures have only one point of focus.
    Then Manning looks too frail to be in the tough American Army.
    He seems to have no family.
    Stick with us, we will guide you through the smoke and mirrors.

It could be part of a potential early release deal that Bradley Manning consents to discredit himself by cross-dressing, as per the MI5 agent who revealed London bombing was inside job – David Shayler. ]’m back from holiday but a bit weary from travel. I managed to keep posting despite having to walk three miles ton internet cafe with French keyboard and frequent server crashes. I saw chemtrails over the cote d’azur, but only on the fourth day. The first three days were azure entirely.

Hi Tap, Nice to have you back, we tried to keep the blog tidy.
    So you never went to Area 51 then ?
    Looks like they have developed a fast acting Chemtrail, spreads out in a few hours to full cloud.
    If I remember, Gareth Williams was set up to be a cross dresser.That must be the MO for the Elite to belittle spy’s.

10. NPP says:

Funny people.

I attended a chem trail meet in Norwich last Sat. Apparently, Norwich has been well and truly used as a chemical experimental area.

Crossing subjects…from Graham Hancock newsletter:

Accidents of birth; gifts of the universe.

Were you born into a Muslim amily, or a Christian family, or a Jewish family, or a Hindu family, or a Buddhist family? Why should an accident of birth make you a Muslim, or a Christian, or a Jew, or a Hindu, or a Buddhist? Think for your yourself. Take nothing for granted. Question everything. Reach your own conclusions based on your own experience, intuition and common sense. These are amongst the gifts the bountiful universe bestowed when we were given the opportunity to be born in a human body. We should use those gifts well, and make the most of this precious opportunity, for that is what we are here to do.

Fear is the lock, consciousness is the key, and love is on the other side of the door.