Jordan about to invade Syria, shuts down online news sites

Jordan blocks 254 news websites

AFP – The Jordanian government said on Tuesday that it had blocked 254 unlicensed news websites, 16 of them in the previous two days, using powers under a 2012 law criticised as a threat to freedom of expression.

Fayez Shawabkeh, head of the Press and Publication Department said: “16 local news websites were blocked in the past two days after carefully examining their situation.
“This brings the total number of sites the PPD blocked recently to 254, while 111 sites have obtained licences.”
On June 3, authorities said they would block nearly 300 out of 400 local news websites “for failing to obtain the necessary licensing,” under last year’s controversial legislation.
The law gave the government powers to regulate “electronic publications,” requiring them to register with the PPD and obtain a licence.
It stipulates that the chief editors of news websites must be members of the Jordan Press Association, giving the government the right to censor content and hold journalists liable for comments posted on webpages.
The Tap Blog is a collective of like-minded researchers and writers who’ve joined forces to distribute information and voice opinions avoided by the world’s media.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

One Response to “Jordan about to invade Syria, shuts down online news sites”

  1. Anonymous says:

    Jordan must be ready for suicide then.
    Assad will give them a good hiding as well.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.