My girlfriend’s moon pictures.

Hi Tap,
Thought you might like to see these pictures of the moon taken by my girl friend a few weeks before Christmas. She took the pictures because it looked unusually bright that night, bear in mind they were taken with a Samsung galaxy tablet. If you blow the images up you will see 3 other objects which nobody can identify.

Regards,

Adam Trundell

TAP – the picture quality was better in the email.  I’ve done the best that blogger allows.
There is something at 10 PM.  It could be similar to the things photographed in saturn’s rings by Hubble, but on a smaller scale –

13 Responses to “My girlfriend’s moon pictures.”

Last image below the moon can see what almost looks like a planet not in the top 2 images.

2. Toad Hall says:

Could be lens flair or muck on lens?

Is it a DLSR? If so, dust on sensor also possible.

Although,it is distinctly white, not sure myself.

Not sure if its dslr camera.

Model specs here

My first thoughts were dust on the lens but wasn’t sure, she’s not the sort of person to takes much notice of the moon but thought the moon seemed much brighter than usual so took a pic.

4. Toad Hall says:

my guess would be lens flare.

The most important thing when trying to photograph stuff so far away is not really the megapixels it’s the glass you use.

You need very high quality lenses and most importantly, tripods and long exposures.

5. Toad Hall says:

Sorry Adam, didn’t mean to sound dismissive, I spent quite a bit of time with photography both with film and digital.

In extreme light and dark situations, you quite often get reflections in the lens which causes flares and vignetting among other things. And also, digital sensors get confused with such extremes and can through in artefacts and anomalies. These kinds of conditions are difficult for very expensive professional kit, so you can imagine it’ll be hardwork for a tablet with a built in mini camera.

The moon is over 200k miles from the earth (depending on it’s cycle) and the other planets millions of miles and more beyond.

If you want to photograph it and get any real insight without artefacts and anomalies you really need to be using a telescope with digital photography capabilities. Or a good quality DSLR (digital single lens reflex) camera, with a long telephoto lens. And most importantly a tripod.

There are DSLR kits you can buy as add on’s to several consumer telescopes, it’s all bloody expensive though.

Here is first page on google search, might be helpful:

All the best,

TH

Yes this does sound like a feasible explenation however the only light source was the moon as the sun had fully set. Lens quality etc is definetely a must, shame I wasn’t about at the time could have rigged up my telescope.

After doing some research I came across the above link leonwestmoreland posted a picture remarkably similar.

In response to his post

First and foremost — loose the filter. Never have I seen such an effect but it is most likely the very strong moonlight is bouncing between the lens & filter, creating a ghost image

He was using a filter that caused reflextion, my thought is the galaxy tab has glass before the camera lens as protection that would have the same affect, and at the same time illuminating dirt. TH was right with the lens flare. Thanks for posting Tap, and all comments.

Regards,

Adam

I think you’ll find one of them was Sirius, the brightest star in the sky. It’s not usual to see bright stars or planets close to the moon, but it does happen.

9. Toad Hall says:

You’re welcome. TH

Doesn’t have much to do with this post I know it’s worth seeing though.

Yep, that’s Jupiter.