Elmlea is not cream.

Wife brought home strawberries and cream last night.  Except it wasn’t cream but ersatz cream, called Elmlea double, alternative to cream.  Cleverly packaged to look like cream, and sold as ‘single’ and ‘double’, it is kept at a price to make people pick it in preference to the real cream it sits on the shelf alongside.  It tastes not a patch on the real thing, and has problematic ingredients, which appear in very small letters.

Vegetable fat 28% and vegetable oil 8.8% are added to milk 63%.  This artificial concoction requires food ‘additives’ like emulsifiers E435 E322 (made from soya i.e. GM), stabilisers E412, E410 and colour E 100a (white).

One of the healthiest and most nutritious foods in the world – cream – is removed and replaced with muck.  There is no attempt to deceive the public into thinking this product is healthier than the real thing, as many butter-lookalike products do.  Elmlea deceives by pretending to be the real thing.  It certainly deceived my wife, who is learning her way around the UK.  It no doubt keeps longer, making it more convenient, and I notice it is used by many unfood-savvy restaurants and cafes.  I won’t be eating any of it.  Elemlea is going straight to the waste bin.  The strawberries were well appreciated by all.

16 Responses to “Elmlea is not cream.”

1. Erin MacAirt says:

yeah this stuff is nasty! it tastes disgusting and it tricked me once too! crap food shouldn’t be allowed!

CHEMTRAILS!!!!!

HETT

3. Woodsy42 says:

It’s not just Elmlea, there are other variants with packaging dressed up even more to look like real cream.

Kids yoghurts are really bad for E additives and all the garbage they put in it too.

I tend to make smoothies in my juicer for my 14 month old. Washing the fruit first to get rid of some the crap that’s sprayed on it when it’s first growing helps reduce the toxins. Smoothies are a great way of getting the vitamins and minerals down kids that are fussy eaters too. A small amount of beetroot (which is a good superfood) ‘dyes’ the smoothie to make it look strawberry flavour which helps also.

I fell for it today too and will be calling Unilever as it is nasty and is floating on top of my coffee like off milk.

Did you they actually use hydrogenated vegetable in this product, they can legally label hydrogenated vegetable oil as just fat or vegetable oil.

Very misleading and very unhealthy, also, the calories do not seem to be lower than real cream, so it really is a pointless product.

6. Pawel says:

I got fooled today as well. It is very sneaky how they try to pass Elmlea as cream. You don’t see soy milk producers do the same.
    Elmlea website says this product keeps fresh for longer, so unfortunately probably many retailers will switch to this cutting costs.

I really like Elmlea. Tastes great on cornflakes to add luxury to the milk!
    I also like the fact I eat all of product purchased…
    Can’t tell you how much cream I have thrown away because it goes off so quickly.

8. hungryhippie says:

I was fooled as well today, thought I bought cream and then….yuck! Terrible. It’s a bit deceitful.

stupid people are stupid.

I really like Elmlea, to make cream sauces for dishes. It’s cheaper, lasts longer and veg oils are bound to be healthier than animal fats!

• Marie says:

I hate to break it to you but that’s just not true. Veg oils, particularly highly processed ones(heated to high temperatures and messed around with)are about the worst thing you can put in your body. If you don’t believe me start googling!

I inadvertently deleted a comment saying ‘idiot’!

12. Jana says:

My partner just brought this disgusting thing home thinking it was a cream, my god it went straight to the bin. That thing should be banned!!! I can’t understand why would people buy alternatives to the real thing. They are worse for you than the normal products just like so called LIGHT products.

13. Christine says:

Misleading labelling,never ever been so disgusted that it is sold to catch out the shopper tastes awful, doesn’t whip,and contains trans fats and other nasty additives. I am sure that I will only buy fresh whole cream from real cows,and let people know how misleading this elm lea product is.

14. Lyn says:

OMG I picked this up mistake was shopping in a hurry. Tried using it as a cooking ingredient. The whole dish was just swimming in oil had to throw the whole lot in the bin. Ended up with a take away

15. Nick Hill says:

If using a high calorie product as a treat, then you may as well use something that tastes nice.
    My mother accidentally bought some of this thinking it was cream. Spent ages trying to whip it up. When we tasted it, Yuck! All we could taste was salt!
    Threw it in bin, Went out to buy some cream.
    Although it doesn’t explicitly claim to be cream, it is presented as though it is cream. Very misleading of Unilever.